Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Top Albums of 2011

The time has come when the yearly reviews start pouring in. Within the past two weeks, I have been in close proximity with someone who has a hand in voting in the nominees for the Grammys. The Grammys is like my Christmas. I've taped every ceremony since 2000 (They are on VHS, buy hey, sue me), so when I heard that nomination season is approaching, it inspired me to compile my own list of the best music of the year. I narrowed it down to the top 5. Hopefully, these albums will end up on the nominee ballad. Lets start.

The first album of the year that I purchased was the Kings of Leon. Come Around Sundown. I LOVE this album. I would say I was singing that album for a nice little while. I do feel, however that the feel and mood of the songs and the album as a whole has a nice summery vibe to it. I would have thought that it would have been released in May or June, but hey, not my call....Still an excellent album. Faves: "Pickup Truck", "Birthday", "Mary"

Next is the QUEEN of rock n roll: Stevie Nicks. One would think that a woman in her 60's who used to weave images of gold dust women and welch witches would be dried up by now. Not Ms. Nicks. Her album In Your Dreams was released in early May lead by the single "Secret Love", a song she wrote in 1975 and SHE IS STILL ROCKIN!! Still telling enticing and intriguing tales with her music, she goes from country to folk, to a little R&B, to Hard Rock. I truly feel this is her best work since Bella Donna. Faves: "For What Its Worth", "Ghosts Are Gone" "Twilight", "Annabel Lee" and MANY more

From one queen to another. This summer, the Queen of Pop, Beyonce releases her forth studio album entitled "4". Honestly, I thought that she didnt reach her full potential. I was expected Sasha Fierce to come back with a vengeance, but instead my ears were met with mediocre mid-tempos that didnt give me chills like the days of "B'Day" and "Dangerously in Love". If Beyonce is one of the top artists of today, then you would think she would hook up with the top producers and make a chart-topping album right? Wrong!! This album puts me to sleep. Now this is just my one lonely opinion, but I truly feel that Beyonce just threw something together without any effort and of course, her fans, like zombies, ate it up.  I, on the other hand, wasn't fooled so easily. There are a few goodies on here though: "I Care" "End of Time" "Miss You" and "Party"

Another slight disappointment of the year was the highly anticipated album by Rap icon Lil Wayne. His Carter IV was an album that I love now, but it took me a few listens to come to this conclusion. As I have stated before, I think the mistake he made was continuing the Carter series. I think 3 was enough. However, after a few listens, I can see it fitting comfortably in the series with the rest of them. Faves include: "Blunt Blowin""So Special""Its Good" and "Nightmares of the Bottom"

Finally, an album that completely blew me away! All of the previous albums that I mentioned were albums that I have had to listen to a few times to grasp the concept, but Young The Giant captured my attention and kept it for a lonnng while. I havent heard a debut album that good since Janelle Monae. They combine everything I love; soulful vocals, melodic rock, enticing lyrics and a nice groove all into one extraordinary debut album. After hearing their album, they quickly became my new favorite band. And their lead singer is incredible!! Faves: "Apartment" "Cough Syrup" "God Made Man""Your Side" "I Got" and a few more....undeniably the best debut album of the entire year.

No comments:

Post a Comment